Sunday, November 4, 2012

Is Trader Joe's Chicken Humane?

Tonight, I ponied up for the organic chicken cutlets at TJ's, and Will made a great Chicken Marsala with it. Have to say, they were much moister than my typical frozen non-organic cutlets.

To try to understand if regular Trader Joe's poultry is humane, I talked to the manager at my Silver Lake store. I was impressed with how knowledgeable he was -- the manger at the Santa Monica Blvd TJ's in We Ho had no idea about any of it.

Here's the low-down. There are three categories of chicken at Trader Joe's:
Butcher Shop (red label):
  • conventionally raised
  • primarily vegetarian feed
  • cage-free
  • no beak docking
  • get antibiotics when sick
All Natural (green and brown label)
  • cage free
  • no beak docking
  • not sure if the feed is all-vegetarian or not (didn't write it down)
  • no antibiotics
  • if a bird gets sick, it gets antibiotics, and joins the Conventional group
 Organic (labeled as such)
  • organic, all vegetarian grain feed
  • free-range (I think this means birds have some outdoor access, though it doesn't necessarily mean the birds use it or that it has grass on it. Could just be a concrete slab or gravel.)
But as the Humane Society says, Organic doesn't necessarily mean cruelty free. The more I learn, the more I'm realizing that it's REALLY hard to tell how animals were raised. 

Just sent them the following via their contact form:

Hi.

I am a frequent shopper at TJs, and have been for over 10 years now.

I just took a pledge not to eat factory farm meat so am now having to do a lot of research to find out where my meat comes from!

I'm starting to learn about the different categories of chickens -- organic, free range, etc. and found out that a chicken can be organic and free-range but never go outside and still be crowded in a huge facility (it only has to have ACCESS to outside and the outdoor space can be a concrete slab). So I guess I'm using "density" as my measure now.

Can you tell me the maximum density of birds for your different labels--butcher shop, natural and organic?

I'll compare those numbers to the brochures that I saw at Whole Foods--they have a rating system of 1 - 5 for animal welfare, which makes it easy to understand. I hope you can do something similar. Makes it easier to understand what we're buying.

Katy

14 comments:

  1. Hey Katy, Would love to know what response you got from them as I am a frequent shopper the TJ as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Revital,

    Here's what they said two years ago. Maybe it's time to follow up with them to see if anything's changed:


    11/7/12

    Hi Katy,

    Thanks for your inquiry. Our poultry and meats are sourced from small farms, not factory feedlots. Poultry will have about a four foot space ratio per bird.

    At Trader Joe's, product quality and the integrity of our suppliers is of the utmost importance. Apart from all suppliers being held to the high FDA safety standards, we have our own stringent QA requirements on all products! We also contract with third-party certification companies to make absolutely sure that our supplier's standards and practices are top-notch. We work with reputable vendors who abide by all governmental guidelines, and we are always in contact with the specific suppliers who understand these guidelines (our buyers even make on-site visits).

    I hope this helps. We greatly appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns.

    Sincerely,
    Kerry
    Customer Relations

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7/11/2014 response re ethically sourced beef:

    Thank you for your note. In response, rest assured we only contract with suppliers who ethically and humanely raise their animals. If we were to find out otherwise, we would terminate the contract and no longer use that supplier nor provide that product. We only source from reputable suppliers that we trust, and our Buying Team has been sourcing products and from many different countries for over 49 years, and we also have third-party audits of our products and vendor facilities to ensure that any of our products meet (and often exceed) USDA standards, as well as to meet our very strict quality, safety and ethical standards. We also do not source from factory farms or feedlots, and many of our suppliers are smaller scale just so that we can ensure our very strict standards.

    We do hope this information helps, and we thank you for shopping with us at Trader Joe's.

    Sincerely,

    Hazel
    Trader Joe's
    Customer Relations

    ReplyDelete
  4. but are they raised in the US of A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this info! I am trying to purchase only humanley raised meat as well and it is so hard to know for sure what products are humanely raised. This was very helpful and give me yet another reason to live trader joe's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like they are probably better than most, but the beef answer sounds like a whole bunch of empty words, the proverbial lip service with very little actual information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You SOOOO Much for the research. I am linking it to my blog for other readers to learn from. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DESCO is here to introduce plastic animal cages products in india specifically designed for laboratory use. Provided cages are available in various sizes as per the requirements of our valuable clients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is the investors contact Email details,_   lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com  Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you searching for Chemical traders ? Eastarchem is the Best Chemical traders famous name in the domain of trading chemicals. Their truthful composition, high purity, longer shelf life and high efficiency, make these products highly demanded in the market. We provide products at sensible rates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in Madagascar ( East Africa),and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender Mr Benjamin Breil Lee and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on ...... 247officedept@gmail.com through .. and I want you all to pray for this man for me or Chat with him on whatsapp +1-989-394-3740 as well.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete